Monday, April 11, 2011

"There Was An Old Woman" Nursery Rhyme

Nursery Rhymes
Assignment
       This assignment is about creating a pen and ink art piece of a Nursery Rhyme. The Nursery Rhyme that was given to me would be used to be Intrepted into a drawing. 
The Nursery Rhyme that was given to me is called “There was an old woman who was tossed up in a basket.
The Nursery Rhyme is basically about an old woman (Probably a witch), who is tossed up in a basket, flying to the moon to sweep off, cobwebs off of the sky.
There was an old woman 
Nursery rhyme:
There was an old woman
Tossed up in a basket
Seventeen times as high as the moon.
Where she was going
I just had to ask it,
For in her hand she carried a broom.

"Old woman, old woman,
Old woman," said I,
"Please tell me, please tell me,
Why you're up so high?"
"I'm sweeping the cobwebs
Down from the sky,
And I'll be with you
By and by."
I like this Nursery Rhyme because, this poem was very intriguing, and it gave me lots of ideas for my Nursery rhyme.
The ideas that I came up for my assignment are mainly depicts, the old woman in the nursery rhyme, in various crazy basket, flying to the moon.
Since my poem is about an old woman, flying to the moon, I decided to use that idea and portray her as an modern grandma, flying an basket like space ship, to space, to sweep away cobwebs surrounding space. In the poem it mentions that she was 16 moons high in the sky, so I decided to use that concept, since it makes lots of since, to my artwork since she is in space and that it will fill up the spaces in my artwork.


Ideas/Drawings for Nursery Rhymes:

(Old lady flying to the sky, with cat in a basket, while a kid is trying to get her attention.)


(Old woman flying in a helicopter while kid is struggling to get in the basket.)

(Far view)






(Old woman in basket rocket, in space, while a kid is chocking to death)







(Granny in basket)



(Granny expressions)








BASKETS Ideas:



(Basket Helicopter)




(Basket Rocket)


(Basket Plane)




(Basket Slingshot)

Granny in rocket positions: 



















(Characters)


Granny rough copy

 Final Copys:

 


(Click for a larger picture)  


The ideas I had used for my nursery rhyme is, an old woman in an rocket-ship basket, 17 moons, cob webs, and tiny aliens. The reasons why I used those ideas for my nursery rhymes is because it would make my work more appealing, and it would also fill in many empty spaces, like the corners of the page, and several spaces beside the basket. Adding moons to my artwork  was an very great idea, because it made my work feels like it was in outer-space, and it add some depth and feel to it. I had also decided to keep many ideas, that were referred to in the rhyme, like the cobwebs, her holding an broom, and the idea of 17 moons below her.
The first thing I had drawn on my rough copy and on my final copy is the moon. I drew the moon first, because the moon was the easiest  to draw, and that if I drew that first, I would know what size the basket would be. After drawing that, I drew an basket that is tilted sideways, after that I drew the old woman holding an broom. The hardest part of drawing the old woman, is drawing her leaning down, on the basket, sweeping cobwebs. I faced it, by drawing her in a desired position first in stick people, then after draw her in, after she looks right on it. After drawing the old woman, I added in, large flames of fire underneath the basket to make it look like she is in the basket, after that I drew several cobwebs on each corner, and on the old women's broom to make her look like she is sweeping away cobwebs. The Final thing I added to it, is adding in boxes to the bottom of the basket, adding texture to the basket, and drawing in stars, planets, and alien ships to the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment