Monday, May 23, 2011

Slither

Sketchbook Assignment: Slither 

For my sketchbook assignment,  slither, I decided to draw a snake wrapped around a kid for my sketchbook assignment.     The first thing I did, when I started the assignment, was thinking of ideas for it, such as spongebob wiggling his hands, or Ursula the sea witch, looking at her magic bubble or just a simple plain snake. Of all the ideas, I chose the snake because I think it is the only one theme, that portrays the idea of the sketchbook assignment better, and also  you can get lots of countless ideas of a snake in various situation, such as a snake trying to eat a huge mouse, or even a snake slithering away from a huge foot, or an snake hypnotizing a boy.

I picked the snake hypnotizing a boy because the idea was way better than the others, and it was easier and simpler to draw , and it also portrayed the theme of slither perfectly .

This idea was inspired by a scene in the movie “The Jungle Book”, when  Kaa (the snake) was hypnotizing   Mowgli (the boy) with his eyes, and his body wrapped around him.

After I confirmed the idea of it, I decided to sketch it down. The first thing I drawed , was the boy, because i wanted to know where I should position the snake and that it was way easier drawing the boy first, because you can get an direct sense where you could draw the snake.

                   After drawing it, I outlined the drawing using a fine linear.


                                  
        

       After that I scanned my rendered drawing, and outlined it using gimp.
                                                    
After outlining it, I got rid of the background layer, and I painted it using gimp
These are two different versions of  my slither, one has a white background, the other has a black one.

(Slither process: 1, sketch/inked   2, Rendered using gimp   3, Painted   4, Painted background test )

While the black one looks very great, because the black background help boosts it color, I have to say the white one is way better because, the white one does recovered its black outline, while the black one doesn't. whither or not you like the white one or the black one, it doesn't matter, because the good thing is that you like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment